The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria, CBCN, is the organ of unity, communion and solidarity for the millions of Catholics spread across the thirty-six states of Nigeria and the Federal Capital Territory. It is the forum wherein the collegiality of the Nigeria Catholic bishops, as successors of the Apostles in union with the Pope, is expressed and where the idea of the Church as family is signified.
Through the conference, the archbishops and bishops of the 54 ecclesiastical jurisdictions, as shepherds of souls in their archdioceses and dioceses, are able to pray together, study together, and work together; and with one voice, are able to speak and spearhead the teaching, prophetic and pastoral ministry of the Catholic Church in Nigeria.
President: Most Rev. Augustine Obiora Akubeze (Archbishop of Benin City);
Vice–President: Most Rev. Lucius Iwejuru Ugorji (Bishop of Umuahia);
Secretary: Most Rev. Camillus Raymond Umoh (Bishop of Ikot Ekpene);
Assistant Secretary: Most Rev. Charles Michael Hammawa (Bishop of Jalingo).
1. Pastoral Affairs - Bishop John Ebebe Aya (Bishop of Uyo)
2. Church & Society - Archbishop Matthew Man’Oso Ndagoso (Archbishop of Kaduna)
3. Pastoral Agents - Bishop Michael Ekwoyi Apochi (Bishop of Otukpo)
4. Mission & Dialogue - Bishop Matthew Hassan Kukah (Bishop of Sokoto)
5. Directorate of Social Communications - Bishop Denis Chidi Isizoh (Auxiliary Bishop of Onitsha)